3/20/12

mini craft: altering fabric color with bleach spray


I decided after looking at a few blogs that I should investigate altering a fabric's color with bleach spray, because I have loads of fabric that is starting to bore me.  I've had this gigantic roll of blue knit fabric for a couple years now.  It was a gift from someone who was getting rid of all her fabric.  I guess you could say it was not my ideal color, but the fabric itself is really nice and has a nice drape to it.

Here's how I did it!

First I put a little bleach in a spray bottle and then diluted it with about the same amount of water.  Then I set up the fabric on the porch to contain the mess a bit.  Then I got to spraying the bleach.  Pretty much I just sprayed it in a long, fluid pattern, with the occasional random splatter.  I had to let the blue one sit for a while longer than the purple/pink fabric.  The purple took to the bleach right away and made this great hot pink.  (The blue one is actually still sitting on the porch soaking up more bleach.  I'm hoping it will get a little lighter.)  Then I hand washed the fabric in cold water and hung it out to dry. Super easy and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment